Monday, August 27, 2012

August 27, 2012


¡Hola mi familia!

 Another week and what an emotional rollercoaster it was. Some really great things happened though! First off before I forget, I'm not sick anymore thank you for the prayers! We found a new, very promising investigator so we´re excited about that! Her name is Jocelin, and she is 15 years old and has already been to church twice with us! So we had the first lesson with her and we are doing a lot better switching off in lessons and sharing time, we really focused on that in comp study this week, but then I gave her the invitation to get baptized and she said yes! It was only the "soft" commitment so there isn't a date set or anything yet but she is solid. Then we got the ward directory and are trying to clean it out so we walked a TON on Tuesday but it's good. We found one guy though, saddest story ever. He is about 30 years old maybe and has three kids. But three years ago he had an accident in work and fell fifty feet. He was seriously injured, his mind is completely gone, he is paralyzed from the waist down and has very limited arm movement. He cannot live on his own but his wife married him after the accident in order to take care of him. The saddest thing was his youngest son was 7 months old.. If I understood everything the wife was saying I'm sure I would've been balling my eyes out. But we had a prayer and I got to offer it, the Spirit was so strong it was incredible.

 Julio was doing great this week, had gone the whole week truly this time without drinking but on Saturday night we showed up for his lesson and he was drunk...it was heart braking. I was so sad and felt so much anger not necessarily to him but to Satan for not letting him progress in the gospel. He knew it was wrong and kept asking for forgiveness the whole time we were there and saying he was sorry. He said that we were the examples he has never had in his life and we mean so much to him. And then he got frustrated with himself because he feels like he is letting down his Heavenly Father. We tried to just let him do the talking on Saturday night we went back on Sunday and had a very powerful discussion. We told him that we would not give up on him and neither will his Heavenly Father, we all know he can do this and so does Julio and he wants to. We talked to him about the Priesthood and that it is the power to act in God's name and to do His will. He asked for a blessing and chose me to give it to him. I was so scared I was only able to do the first half in Spanish and the rest was English but he understood it because he lived in the US for like 20 years. But it was amazing. I want so bad for him to be able to do this, I can't believe the love I already have for these people especially our investigators.

 Alright our numbers this week in case you're interested ha-ha 5 investigators came to Sacrament, 30 lessons taught this week, 141 LPE's (street contacts), 20 references received and 11 contacted, 2 new investigators, and 101 people came to church this week, and 51 pupusas eaten. We are very happy with those numbers but all can be improved upon like always. And we are working hard to do it trust me. Oh a sweet story we were at a pupusaria and a guy came up and started talking in English to us which is always weird cause I never know if I should reply in English or struggle through in Spanish ha-ha but anyways he was like "I lived in Salt Lake and my mom is a member and I read the book of Mormon and I want you guys to come teach my family especially my daughter who is 17 and we want to come to church" well after I got up from falling off the bench in amazement we had him write his address down and everything and just talked a bit more and then he left. He was out of our area just barely so we gave it to the zone leaders to go talk to him on Saturday and they went out and could not find him. The directions here are ridiculous ha-ha. But they found the street but the house did not exist and the people on the street did not know who they were. I know the Lord sent them to us and he will make it possible for them to find the missionaries again because I think they are the ones who have been prepared to receive us. So fingers crossed again there. Oh and we have a baptism this Saturday! Raul is 13 years old and a stud! He is so ready for baptism I am excited for him!

The week before last I finished the Book of Mormon again in English so I`m starting it in Spanish or I have started in Spanish ha it`s very slow goin but that`s ok I seriously mark almost every verse no joke. Its amazing how much more you understand when you read in a different language because you have to focus so much more and really take time to do it. So I`m only like 15 chapters into Primero Nefí and then have done a couple other chapters but its cool. And as always it sounds like home is all good besides the fires still going that's ridiculous! I bet Lagoon was sweet! We definitely should do a trip when I get home and Brandi graduates ha-ha I`m excited for that. And dad gets to watch movies at work again!! What the heck I wanna watch a movie! We watch the testaments almost everyday at lunch so that's fun actually sometimes its in Spanish so I try to really focus. But my comp was in plays and stuff in high school so he says every line of every character during the movie...pretty annoying so i decided i will never quote a movie again while I'm watching it ha-ha.

 Oh fun fact apparently there was a 7.4 earthquake last night! We had no idea but some guys got emails from their family and the presidents wife emailed us too ha-ha but none of us felt it, I'm kinda bummed ha-ha but you cant even tell. All the homes here held up pretty well against it I guess ha-ha. The Spanish is still coming, slowly but coming I guess some members are saying I have improved a lot but I dono if I believe em haha. But anyways its good to know you`re all doing so great!

 "Let us do whatever is required to qualify for the Holy Ghost as our companion, and then let us go forward fearlessly so that we will be given the powers to do whatever the Lord calls us to do. That growth in power to serve may come slowly, it may come in small steps that are difficult for you to see, but it will come."

 —Henry B. Eyring

Brandi you`re doin great in cross country keep it up! And I`m glad you got my letter haha. Well I think that should about do it for me down here I love you all so much and I am so grateful you are praying for me everyday, pray for the people down here too. I pray for you always! The church is true! Follow its teachings and you will be truly happy and have Eternal Life!

Love,

 
Elder Derrick Jorgensen

No comments:

Post a Comment